Friday 30 October 2015

IMDb Top 250 Journey: The Wolf of Wall Street


Hey Folks, Friday’s here already which means I’ve got another review for you - The Wolf of Wall Street. I’m playing fast and loose with this review, because why not. Okay, Let’s get to it. Oh yeah, you can find The Wolf of Wall Street at spot #142 with an 8.2 score.



Thoughts?


I did not find what many people appeared to have found in the wolf of wall street. By the end I was like well, that was cool, and not much else. Like when you go to a new restaurant, or fast-food joint, and you taste the food, and find that it’s good, but not in any remarkable way.

Wolf of Wall Street has Scorsese to thank for that. His direction is confident and bold, making the movie more than just some raucous mess of meaningless partying, showcasing the adventures of the rich. And yes, whiles we’re on the topic, Wolf has a lot of wild scenes, as you’ve likely heard. I wasn’t kidding when I said it as bold; Scorsese takes his foot the brakes and delivers this astonishing tale in a manner that conveys to you the scale of what happened.

Ha, I have to admit, as I’m writing this review, I’m now realizing the full extent of the movie’s strengths.

However, there is one thing that stood out to me even after the first viewing, and this was Leonardo DiCaprio’s performance. This is a performer at his peak people, and he's so excellent that it’ll stand out to you too. DiCaprio gives it his best shot, no doubt, and it’s just a delight seeing him on screen. Jonah Hill was also great, and all around, it was just great performance after great performance. The acting rocked.

Tying all of that together is an undeniably interesting story, (based on a true one) which should keep you entertained.

And that is all I can say about the Wolf of Wall Street. You’ll probably have a good time watching it, unless it’s too wild for your tastes, in which case you’ll probably hate it. But love it or hate it, it still is a good movie.

As far as the list is concerned, I’m putting it on probation until I see other Scorsese movies. Truth be told, I’m already leaning more towards it not deserving a spot, because I didn’t really feel anything watching the movie, aside from a sense of awe at DiCaprio’s performance, and admiration for Scorsese’s direction - both not enough to keep it memorable.

My Score: 7


Okay, next week we’re onto Rush. What did you think about the Wolf of Wall Street?Loved it? Hated it? Let's know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment