Friday 27 November 2015

IMDb Top 250 Journey: Django Unchained

Hello there, you citizen of the internet you. Your travels have brought you to The Tony Tay on a Friday night (or whenever you read this), when I review movies from a list of 250 titles, compiled by IMDb, and supposedly the best this planet has to offer. This week we're looking at Django Unchained, which sits at spot #59 on this list, and has a score of 8.4. Let's get to it.



Immediate thoughts?

Whoa. Just whoa.

Go on...

Django Unchained was my introduction into the very awesome world of Quentin Tarantino movies. I'm really tempted to leave it at this because Tarantino movies are just something else, and thus, require no hype, but I really shouldn't so: Django Unchained is a thoroughly entertaining version of events that are typically heavy hitting and far from entertaining (12 years a slave being one of such movies), to wit, whatever you make of what I've just said, will generally guide your feelings about this movie.

I can't tell how far into the movie you'll realize that Django isn't your typical slave movie, but a safe bet will be the time Christoph Waltz's character and the titular Django, played by Jamie Fox, sit down to have a beer. What follows next will likely do it. If not, when you see these same characters riding their horses to the beat of a Rick Ross song, you'll certainly know then.

However the bloody, raw nature of the movie will definitely give you second thoughts about it, as well as cruelty on show; there are several disturbing scenes which come to mind even as I said that.
Leonardo Di Caprio's character will also serve to this tune, making Django seem like a serious movie, but then you see Samuel L. Jackson's character and you wonder again.

In the end though, it's likely Christoph Waltz's character that'll do you in. I can't even quite describe it. It's like the perfect mixture of seriousness and ridiculousness that somehow never manages to completely tip to one side.

Does it feel like I'm going on and on about stuff? And that I'm writing in a weird way but you can't quite put your finger on what exactly is weird about this? Well, this is me trying to mimic my Django experience for you. (I hope it worked).

I really don't know how Tarantino does it, but this has cut across almost every other movie of his I've seen. But I always end up thinking, "Man, that was awesome", and I'm certain you'll feel the same way too.

But was it well-made?

Yes, yes. Tarantino is a master at his game, and like many movies I've reviewed on the list, everything feels so carefully considered. The Tarantino particulars are present too, namely the sound, and the dialogue. I can't stress enough just how good Tarantino is at this. His dialogue always gets the attention, but his sound effects are truly remarkable. Just pay attention when to sound effects when you're watching Django, you'll see what I'm talking about. Then there's the acting, which was fantastic. Particularly the main four, Christoph Waltz, Jamie Fox, Di Caprio and Samuel L. Jackson who were all terrific. If I had my way I would have given all four an oscar - only Waltz got one for his efforts.

Final thoughts

Django Unchained is awesome in a weird way, and I know some of you won't like it all, and will probably find it offensive. It's hard to say really, but I thought it was very entertaining, and a unique view on a subject that's typically handled in a specific way, with a great script and some terrific acting. I definitely believe it deserves a spot on the list, if for nothing else, for it's unique perspective of things. Yeah, you should watch this.

My Score: 8+

What did you think about Django? Let's know. Next week we're moving on to the Hunt, which is another international movie. Let's hope it follows after Wild Tales. And oh, hope you were able to snag yourself a Black Friday movie deal. 







No comments:

Post a Comment